Alphabetical search:  A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z   All 
Please enter search here:
Now looking at definitions starting with letter "b"

B : The right-hand part of a stereo signal.

B inputs : (1) An additional set of inputs to a mixer channel that allow either additional (but not simultaneous) tracks to be assigned a mixer; (2) More commonly these days, a different source of the same information that appears on the A inputs. This latter technique allows a sound editor to work offline on a sequence while the mixer is adjusting the overall EQ and level in automation, while playing back from another copy. The material is recorded to tape, after witching inputs, when the editor is finished.

B roll : See A-roll.

B-chain : The film industry’s term for the sound reproduction system, including amplifiers, crossovers and loudspeakers. See A-chain, chain.

B-Channel : See ISDN.

B-format : A 1" professional video format developed by Bosch. Although generally considered superior to the standard C-format, B-format equipment is used only in a few production and post-production facilities. B-format video masters must be transferred to C-format for broadcast.

B-weighting : Frequency correction approximately corresponding to human hearing at 70dB SPL. See A-weighting, C-weighting, equal loudness curves.

baby boom : The nickname of the Dolby 70mm process that dedicates two of the six tracks on a 70mm print to low-frequency information (signals below 250 Hz). This term is no longer used as the new digital multichannel film sound formats specify a dedicated subwoofer track.

BAC&S : British Academy of Composers and Songwriters. A group being formed among the current Association of Professional Composers, the Composers’ Guild of Great Britain and the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors, building a larger and more influential "umbrella" organization."

back coating : In magnetic recording tape, a thin coating applied to the non-oxide or back surface of the tape to reduce slippage between tape layers, prevent accumulation of static charge, and minimize curling or wrinkling.

back plate : In a condenser microphone, the fixed, rigid capacitor element that is charged with an electric polarity opposite to that of the diaphragm.

backbeat : A musical term refering to the second and fourth beats in a four-beat bar, often emphasized by the drummer.

backfill : To edit the space between words so that the whole length of a scene, including sections where the take or angle in question is not being used, is contiguous.

backgrounds : (BGs) Sound effects that sonically define the time and place of a location. Also called ambience, atmos or atmospheres. Backgrounds give a sense of lush sonic effects and placements. More specifically, they usually use pan controls, reverbs, delays, and other positioning tools. BGs are considered sound effects and are not the same as room tone.

backing track : Pre-recorded music used by a singer or other musician during a performance and which augments or entirely replaces other performers. This has become increasingly popular as musicians attempt to recreate the sound of their studio recordings live on stage.

backing vocals : In popular music, extra vocal parts which fill in gaps, or harmonize with, the lead vocal line. Usually sung by specialist session singers. Usually abbreviated bvox.

backline : On-stage instrument amplification.

backtiming : Subtracting the length (in minutes and seconds) of a recorded segment from the time in a longer program at which the segment is supposed to end. If a three-minute segment is to end a 30-minute program, backtiming will indicate that the end segment needs to roll at 27:00.

backward masking : See temporal masking.

baffle : A partition placed between two sources of sound, or between a sound source and a microphone, to prevent sound from passing through. The baffle, or screen, may be made of any material with a high absorbtion coefficient. Most baffles are designed as movable partitions, and are used to isolate individual instruments in recording studios.

bake off : Hollywood colloquialism for the meeting of the Sound Branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in which the members hear ten-minute clips of the seven films that have made the semifinals of the Best Sound Effects Editing award.

bal-unbal : BALanced-to-UNBALanced. A transformer device used to convert a singled-ended (unbalanced) signal to a differential (balanced) signal. A bal-unbal is essentially a transformer with one leg of the input and output windings hooked together. More complicated devices may also change impedences at the same time. The most common use for a bal-unbal is a 75 ohms coaxial-300 ohms twin-lead converter used in television.

balance : (1) The amount of relative signal provided to each of two (or more) audio channels. (2) A control on a synthesizer which adjusts the relative volumes of two different sounds which it can voice simultaneously. Not to be confused with pan.

balance stripe : See mag film.

balanced line : Audio lines in which the signal current is not carried by the cable shield of a shielded cable. This requires two conductors for the signal, enclosed in a shield, with neither conductor connected to the shield. The circuit utilizes two identical conductors operated so that the voltages on each of them are equal in magnitude, but opposite in polarity with respect to ground. Compare with unbalanced line. See common-mode..

Next 25 Hits

site design Dan Rugh and Steve Kunath